Ten Hills, Somerville, Massachusetts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ten Hills is a neighborhood in the northeastern part of the city of Somerville, Massachusetts. The area is roughly wedge-shaped, about 50 acres in size, and is bounded by the Mystic River to the north, McGrath Highway to the east, and is largely separated from the rest of Somerville by Interstate 93 to the southwest. Ten Hills is neighbored by Assembly Square to the east, and Winter Hill to the southwest.
The neighborhood landscape is predominated by a single hill (not ten, as the name suggests), the peak of which is roughly at the intersection of Temple and Putnam Roads.
Ten Hills is named after Ten Hills Farm, owned by Massachusetts' first governor, John Winthrop. This estate of 600 acres was granted to Governor Winthrop by the Massachusetts Bay Colony on September 6, 1631. The farm was located along the southern bank of the Mystic River in portions of what are now the cities of Somerville and Medford.
|It extended from Cradock Bridge, near Medford Centre, along the Mystic River, nearly to Convent Hill, and included all the land between Broadway, as far as the Powder House on the south and the river on the north.|
In 1649, the Ten Hills Farm was inherited by Gov. Winthrop's son, John the Younger, governor of Connecticut.
In 1677, the farm was deeded to Elizabeth Lidgett, widow of Peter Lidgett.
In 1731, the Lidgetts deeded 504 acres of the property, most of which is located in the current city of Medford, to Sir Isaac Royall, an Antiguan slave trader. Royall remodelled a brick house on that property, originally built by Governor Winthrop in 1692. Royall's son, Isaac Royall, Jr., took possession of that property in 1739, and greatly expanded it. It still stands today and is known as the Isaac Royall House.
In 1740, the remaining 251 acres of the Lidgett's property, located in Somerville, was sold to Captain Robert Temple, who owned that land through the Revolutionary War. Captain Temple built a luxurious mansion at Ten Hills Farm, overlooking the river, which lasted until it was torn down in 1877.
On September 1, 1774, General Thomas Gage ordered an expedition of 200 British troops up the Mystic River to capture American munitions. The British landed at Ten Hills Farm, and then proceeded to Powder House Square and seized 250 barrels of gunpowder.
In 1832 Colonel Samuel Jaques, a well known horticulturalist and breeder of livestock bought Ten Hills Farm and made it famous as a stock farm.
In 1877, the farm was destroyed and much of the high ground was used to fill in surrounding marshlands.
In 1900, the Metropolitan Park Commission acquired land along the Mystic River in Ten Hills and built Shore Drive. The shore became a popular beach for bathers and a bathhouse was built by the city between 1906 and 1908. A planned amusement park was never built, but a new bathhouse along the shore of the river was built sometime between 1925 and 1947.
In 1928, the City of Somerville bought the site for the purposes of building an elementary school, and in 1930, The Charles A. Grimmons Elementary School was opened for students.
In 1980, the Grimmons School was closed due to lack of enrollment. A portion of the land was retained for the construction of Grimmons Park.
The Blessings of the Bay Boathouse, named after the ship built by Governor Winthrop in 1631 is located on the Mystic River Resevation at 32 Shore Drive. The boathouse is currently owned by the Massachusetts District Commission and is leased to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Middlesex County. During the summer, canoes and paddleboats can be rented by the public for use on the Mystic River. .
Grimmons Park is a small playground on Gov. Winthrop Road. As of December, 2008, the City of Somerville is planning a major renovation of this park.
- ^ Map of Ten Hills neighborhood on the City of Somerville website
- ^ Map of Somerville Wards & Precincts
- ^ M. A. Haley, The Story of Somerville, (The Writer Publishing Company), p. 10.
- ^ Francis J. Bremer, John Winthrop: America's Forgotten Founding Father (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003), p. 248.
- ^ Robert C. Winthrop, Life And Letters Of John Winthrop: Governor Of The Massachusetts Bay Company At Their Emigration To New England 1630, (Kessinger Publishing, LLC), p. 64.
- ^ Charles Elliot, History of Somerville, 1892
- ^ M. A. Haley, The Story of Somerville, (The Writer Publishing Company), p. 12.
- ^ Albert L. Haskell, Haskell's Historical Guide Book of Somerville, Massachusetts
- ^ Mystic View Task Force Online Walking Tour
- ^ Everett Waterfront Assessment, 2003
- ^ City of Somerville Grimmons Park Renovation
- Ten Hills, Somerville, Massachusetts is at coordinates Coordinates: